2004 Nissan Xterra consumer reviews

$xviii,400–$22,800 MSRP range

side view of 2004 Xterra Nissan

97% of drivers recommend this car

Rating breakdown (out of 5):

  • Comfort 4.0
  • Interior design 4.0
  • Performance 4.i
  • Value for the money 4.3
  • Exterior styling iv.iii
  • Reliability 4.6

I love my auto since the day i set my optics on information technology

No major problems with my auto i move it and have been happy with it since the mean solar day i bought it. It had xiii miles on it and today has over 230,000 miles and really no major problems

Testify full review

Near reliable car I've owned.

Love this vehicle. Never left me on the road. Very dependable. I've always kept upward the maintance according to possessor's manuel. I will part with it and buy another Xtera eventually.

Testify full review

Best car ive had.

And so at commencement i didnt really feel comfortable with my xterra but every bit time when i have grown to love information technology .and the wait is very strong . if you go along upward on normal machine maintenance the Nissan Xterra is a skilful outdoor offroading and stylishhhh carr .

Show full review

Has been a solid vehicle for over 15 years...

I bought my '04 brand new (put 20k miles on it); my dad liked it so he took it for 14 of those years- now I take reclaimed it so my daughter can use information technology for college. My dad has relied on the "family mechanic" for over xx years (we have recently quit using him- total crook!) if a car was made after the lxx'southward my dad'south eyes glaze over- then totally relied on that mech. In the process of going over the vehicle- I found that at nearly 130,000 miles the fuel filter has NEVER been inverse, nor the pcv valve, nor the spark plugs/wires/dist cap/rotor... All the same THIS THING IS STILL RUNNING! (A miracle being that my dad has paid this guy to do so much maint and repairs withal none of the basics have been done). I have it torn apart in the garage correct now though- overhauling everything but the engine. (knock sensor, every gasket (intake/frazzle plenums + valve covers+++), every hose and line, thermostat etc and so on due to the age and mileage information technology should be done. The Big down side is the fuel economy- it is a PIG. It has been a solid vehicle though- and I hope it hangs in there for a few more years for my kiddo.

Prove full review

142000 miles and withal running strong

Great off road vehicle. 142000 on information technology. Had the common p420/430 and knock sensor code. Replaced both manifold cats and put new bosch 02 sensors in and replaced the knock sensor and no more cel. Paid 6000 for this truck and nonetheless worth 4200 on the street love it goes everywhere my bronco did but.

Prove full review

Great truck for towing & off-roading.

Slap-up car. Great for towing, and off-roading. One of my favorite SUVs. Has Aux plug-in, USB plug-in, and AM, FM radio. Estrus and AC, 4x4, & roof rack.

Show full review

Neat SUV

I've owned my 2004 Xterra for xv years. 130,000 miles. For the boilerplate driver, this vehicle is pretty reliable with normal maintenance. This year doesn't feel coolant/transmission oil contaminating, like what happened with 2005/half-dozen years. The engine lacks power for speed and towing, but the VG33E (V6) engine was manufactured for 8 years and has a great reliability history. I had zippo issues for the first 120k and most of that was difficult miles off-roading. Someone else wrote up this most of this list but I've experienced the exact same issues. -Begetting in the benefactor can wearable out, which causes the engine to occasionally stumble (this trouble doesn't non leave the truck immediately inoperable but it will get worse with fourth dimension until information technology fails) Concord: Stumbles started at 120k. The bearing was almost completely gone simply information technology was notwithstanding running. Replaced with basic tools, along with plugs and wires. -#six spark plug is a pain to modify. Agreed: It's on the dorsum side of the engine and hard to become to. Use the right combination of socket extensions and universal joints to reach information technology past feel. Went smoothly for me just the correct tools and a body lift makes a deviation. 120k -Knock sensor commonly fails, this does non cause whatever issues for the non-supercharged models. Replacing requires everything on top to exist removed. Agreed: Poor design location. A bank check engine calorie-free (CEL) won't turn on unless something else sets off the CEL then the knock sensor code volition popular up. Relocated the knock sensor to a improve spot and nevertheless does the job. 120k -High side pressure line in the Air-conditioning commonly fails, like shooting fish in a barrel gear up. Agreed: Non hard to supersede O-rings or the line. 120k - 4X4 model, driver'southward side motor mounts is a bit weak for off-roading. I broke mine 3 times before I went aftermarket. It'll never interruption over again. No bug with rider side motor mount. -4X4 model, tie rods are weak points that may fail with moderate amounts of off-roading, a challenging climb, or later driving a lot on washboard forest roads and trails. Super easy and inexpensive to replace. Upgrade to greasable tie rod ends and a hefty center link to prolong life. Lather, rinse, repeat. -ane think in 2010 for a steering column. I didn't have any problems with it but a dealer replaced it anyways. - Automatic manual failed to shift and limped around for 3 more days of off-roading at under 25mph. Custom rebuilt done to OME transmission ($three,200). 135k

Show full review

Off-Road Beast

I've had my Xterra for iv years and I dear it. Information technology has 226,000 miles on it and I just experienced my kickoff break downwards; the timing belt. The Xterra does extremely well in the snow. I am then impressed with this vehicle. I volition definitely own some other.

Prove full review

Wearisome simply Reliable

I?ve endemic my Xterra XE with the 3.3L V6 for over a yr now, and it has been nothing but reliable. It currently has 199k miles, and I?ve but had to practise basic maintenance, a battery, valve Cover gaskets, and a starter in the 20k Miles I?ve put on information technology.

Show full review

Question

i absolutly love this machine i bought information technology used but it was a one owner vehicle. the guy who owned it put an after marketplace turbo on it to ease on gas love this car right now it has 150 g miles on information technology question is when is the mileage intermission in menses on the 04 models? does anyone know

Prove full review